Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wow, I am really going to do this!

I have debated for a few months as to write about this journey or not.  It is a personal one, and I am not normally one for sharing real personal things on the net.  After much thought I came to the conclusion if my story helped one other person to make this decision, to help complete a family than it would all be worth it.

So since I am already into this journey, I will try to get my story caught up to date with a few posts, so that there is not one very long huge post.

Lets start at the very beginning...
My oldest daughter is 21 years old, after she was born I had thought about being a surrogate for someone who could not have children.  I loved being pregnant, it was easy and fun.  I was overwhelmed by the intense feelings after having my own child, I felt horrible for anyone who wanted to have a baby and could not.  I truly believed no one should be deprived of that totally awesome experience.  I started to do some research into surrogacy.  Being 21 years ago, about the only option was what is called a traditional surrogate.  The procedure is to use the sperm from the intended father, and artificially inseminate the surrogate.  So essentially the baby would be half mine and half the other couples'.  After really giving that a lot of thought and seeing some media on surrogate cases, where the mother changed her mind and did not want to give up the baby, I started to think I would not be able to give the baby away either.  I knew how strong my motherly feelings and instincts were, that I felt I would not be able to give a baby to another couple that was partly mine.

With a heavy heart and as much as I wanted to help someone else who could not have a baby, I really thought being a surrogate was not for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment